Thursday, January 13, 2022

Hip replacement status report

Status Update: I now have a new right hip!

Surgery went very well this morning and my doctor is fantastic. Nurses are absolutely wonderful as well at the center.

Walked once I woke up and stabilized. Then was able to get out of car and walk through house to bed. Probably high as a kite at the moment with a great nerve block so forgive this rambling.

Worst part of the whole thing was the 4 attempts and 8 needles to get an IV going. They thought they had it on the third attempt: gave me a shot of versed and said you should start feeling drowsy. Not so much. In fact nothing was happening at all. Redid IV and then oh my did it work and next moment I was back in recovery room and all done left arm looks like a pin cushion but if that’s the worst of it I’ll take it.

Now to bring on the physio, and seeing what this new hip can do.

5 comments:

juvat said...

Glad things worked out for you Aaron. Now...Take it easy and don't rush things. Follow your Dr's directions as well as your wife's....etc.etc.etc.

Seriously I'm glad things worked out.

DaveS said...

Pretty amazing that patients can walk on a brand new hip the same day! Happy to hear that it went well. Now your Physical Therapist is in charge. A stationary bike was a huge help for a friend that went through this recently. (She gets GRUMPY if she can't exercise!). Good luck with the rehab work! You'll be back in the air and on the mats in no time.

Midwest Chick said...

Hope you heal quickly!!

Aaron said...

juvat: Thanks it looks like it has worked out so far.

DaveS:Yep, I was amazed that I could walk out right then and there, albeit with a walker. Looking forward to the OT and will be doing it to the letter.

Midwest Chick: Thank you!

Comrade Misfit said...

I hope you recover smoothly. The PT can be a botch-kitty, but you know that and I know you'll do it.