Saturday, August 21, 2021

Saturday Range Day

This morning I joined some friends for breakfast at Molly Pitchers, a restaurant attached to the Huron Valley Guns gun shop. 

Thye serve some great food, and you get to use the range before it officially opens to the public if you have breakfast at the restaurant.

So after breakfast we headed into the indoor range and did some shooting.

Jason and I shared a lane and took turns shooting, Tosh and Anthony had the adjoining lane for an hour shooting time.

First some B-8 targets at 25 yards to warm up.  Interestingly there is a very discernible difference in point of impact between the 115 grain and 150 grain 9mm rounds at 25 yards as I'm zeroed with 147/150 and was shooting some 115.  Not a bad warm up though.

 Then I did some speed shooting - first Jason and I did 5x5x5 drills and I was keeping it consistently clean with well under 4 second strings from concealment and generally around 3.5.

Then on to the Bill Drill of 6 shots at 7 yards into an A-Zone target.  Best I could manage was 3.11 clean, other runs were in the 3.3-3.4 second range (the 3.4 one I had a noticeable hitch as I lost the dot. Brightened it up and got faster) but they were clean also, which shows I still need a lot of work and need to practice more.

Lots of fun and good practice.  A great indoor range where they let you draw from the holster and concealment which is hard to find around here.

We also got to try another friend's CZ bolt action 375 H&H Magnum, and that thing has both a roar at the muzzle and a friendly smack to the shoulder to let you know that you fired it, along with quite the muzzle flash.  Very fun to shoot and recoil is comparable to a 12 gauge slug.

Then we went and browsed the gun shop itself.  Good selection of firearms and there was ammo, albeit not cheap, but it was available.

A good time had by all, and a nice way to spend a morning.  Good bunch of folks. 

No comments: