Friday, August 13, 2021

Flying IFR - Lesson 20 - More Approaches

More approaches was the name of the game today.

Took off with Nicholas as my instructor for today.  Nice guy.  We needed to top off the front strut first as it was too low, so i got to see how that is done, which is kinda neat.

Then off to Flint for more approaches.  Clouds were kinda low but we kept it VFR below 3,000 feet.  Generally calm but a bit of turbulence in spots to make things interesting.

First approach was a full procedure ILS 27 approach and then go missed.

Next was the VOR 36, circle to 27 and I landed as the circle to land is apparently being heavily scrutinized by the examiners on the check-rides these days.  Good setup and landing even as it felt like one heckuva tight turn from base to final to the runway.

Then waiting a bit and after that a back taxi on 27 and then off and taxi to the runway threshold and wait to get cleared to take off again.  Fun with construction at Flint.

Then up and the RNAV 27 which I did very well and a missed and to pontiac and a RNAV 27L circle to 27R and land.

I think I'm getting better with holding headings and altitudes, certainly more aware of deviations and moving faster to fix them.  Other elements are rather good so I think I may just be making some progress.  Next, I need to work on DA/MDA and exactly where the missed approach point is on each approach as when its simulated it gets a tad weird.   I'll get a handle on it.

I'd say that was a positive lesson with some progress and more comfort with the techniques, scan,  and control.

That's 2.1, with 1.9 simulated instrument, 2 landings, 4 approaches and 2 holds.

No comments: