Saturday, August 28, 2021

Saturday Range Trip

Took Leah to her driving lesson today,  Yes, the kid is now behind the wheel on the way to earning her graduated license.  Already passed her written test and has a few more drives before the Level 1 test that will let her drive with an adult and get her hours toward her level 2 license.    Time certainly goes flying by.

Since it was a two-hour lesson, I went to Huron Valley Guns which was about  10 minutes from her driving school.  HVG is a darn nice indoor range and one of very few that let you draw from a holster and from concealment which is very nice.

Started as usual with some 25 yard B-8s. Then I did some Bill Drills and followed it up with some single-shot draws on the timer at 25 yards and 7 yards. Definitely could use some improvement on time as I was on average around 1.5 seconds at 7 yards, but with variations from 1.9 to a one-time run of 1.3 seconds which would be great if I could consistently reproduce it and get below that but I'm not there yet.

I then finished with a 10-10-10 drill - 10 shots at 10 yards in 10 seconds on a B-8.

10 shots in 8.33 seconds from concealment and just missed a 100 with one shot just out in the high right 9 line so its a 99 and something to aim for improvement next time.  It's a fun drill.

Then I headed to pick Leah up, stopping to get her a cold drink on the way, and she was there in time to watch her smoothly pull up and park perfectly between two cars to end her lesson.  Kid is becoming a good driver real fast.  Not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning.

2 comments:

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Aaron;

Anytime at the range is a good day, and Leah learning to be a better driver than the average teenager is a plus. Your shooting reminds me that I need more range time. I am eyeballing a new pistol so it will give me an excuse to shoot the new pistol and a couple of others ;)

Aaron said...

MrGarabaldi: That it is, and her driving is getitng pretty darn good rather quickly once she got the right instructor. More range time is always a good thing. Be sure to tell us about your new pistol when you get it.