Friday, May 13, 2022

Flying VFR Approach Practice On A Beautiful Day

Headed to the airport today to do some solo approach practice.  No safety pilot so no foggles and no actually logging the approaches or instrument time, but I was going to go out and practice the approaches anyways solo.  Aiming for perfection the whole time.

It was beautiful out. 

Good preflight, got flight following to Flint and got some practice in. Really working on locking in the altitude and headings.

As usual radio work and procedures were good and I believe I did everything properly.  Controllers were at the top of their games calling out traffic and there was quite a bit about.  They had me climb to 3,500 and another plane descend to 2,500 as we were apparently going to be head on as I was doing an approach.  I do appreciate the controller's noise abatement efforts.

I did a really excellent ILS 9 approach, with an excellent procedure turn, my best one there in weeks, really got right lined up and a great approach following the instruments and I'd say darn near perfect.  I do think I'd pass that one.

VOR 18 to 9 I still have issues with (not to mention the controller's vectors were off a tad but he then corrected which made it fun) not busting the minimums at circling but touching it and then trying not to ascend over 100 feet. Damn close, but still needs work, but I would have had the landing.

Then back to Pontiac for the RNAV 9R.  Detroit Approach had me keep my speed up so I couldn't do the standard final approach fix landing configuration setup as I was too fast for flap extension.  Then it was going well and then of course, Pontiac Tower wanted me to sidestep to 9L which I did for a nice landing.  Was a little high from the FAF forward, and I tend to be consistent doing that, so I need to fix that.  Still needs work for doing a sdtep-down non-LPV guidance approach there which is likely what the examiner will pull on the test by making it partial panel if the wind is going on the 9 side.

Nice landing, off the runway right by the hangar row, so told to taxi and just monitor ground and I did so and parked, put the plane away, washed off the bugs, and was done.

I think I will cancel next week's lessons and do this again.  

No point paying for an instructor and flight sdchool rates until I'm actually ready for the pre-pre check-ride-ride, then the pre-check-ride-ride and finally the actual check-ride. 

No, this will never end so might as well fly back and enjoy it.

That's 1.4, 1.4 solo time, no simulated instrument time, 3 non-logged approaches, and 1 good landing. 

2 comments:

juvat said...

I'm jealous!

Aaron said...

juvat: It was definitely nice to get up with the club plane and just do it all alone, that's for sure.