Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Flying IFR - Now With A Safety Pilot!

Did things differently today, and had fun doing it.

No going to DCT, just to my flying club's hangar.  Luckily the hangar door opened this time and I got a preflight in.

Scott, another club memebr and IFR certified pilot (got his last October) came along this morning as a safety pilot.

I did the run up, and got flight following to Flint as again winds were gutisng out of the east at about 140, and did a set of practice approaches.

Took off and headed for Flint and did the ILS 9, then the VOR 18 circle to 9, and then back to Pontiac for the RNAV 9R with a circle to 9L, as 9R is closed as the FAA is out approving the repairs and improvements that were made last year.  To say the field was busy is an understatement. 

Below 2,500 feet it was all sorts of choppy with wind gusts pushing us around rather impressively. At 3,000 or above, smooth as silk, so of course Flint's controllers put us at no higher than 2,500. 

On the upside N8428S is a joy to fly.  She trimmed out perfectly for me, unlike all the DCT aircraft and just flew wonderfully.

Kinda a 3.6 Roentgen flight - not great not terrible.   Altitude control is still not where I want it and just outside the acceptable range, and I did a bit of hinting for the heading at times due to the wind gusts. Did a damn nice sidestep and landing on 9L though with some wind gusts trying to kick my tail while doing so, but I had it made.

Did the approaches overall ok, but not up to standards,  and just not as good as I want them. Again, I did dip a tiny bit below on the circle yet again for a tiny moment but corrected but that would fail it out, so not acceptable. It's damn hard to get right to 1,300 and not a drop below, and yet not overshoot 1,400 while trying.

Basically I ran the show, and he just got to sit there and enjoy the ride and look for traffic outside.

Overall Scott was impressed with how well I know the procedures and radio communication.  Heck, he didn't even scream or flinch even once. He thinks I'd pass with those skills for sure, but as always it's my flight control is what needs to be improved just a tiny bit.

Why haven't I done this before?  This is basically a control issue so i just need to fly the hell outta this and as Scott says, at this point there's damn little an instructor can teach me as to the procedures etc.

He did say I should be more aggressive with the throttle. So from now on, I shall.

So from here on out I will be grabbing a safety pilot whenever possible and doing the approaches under foggles, or just fly by myself sans foggles if no safety pilot is available.  No point paying flying school rates for an aircraft and instructor until I'm absolutely ready for sign off.


That's 1.5, 1.0 simulated, 3 approaches, a hold and 1 great landing and a first time flying with a safety pilot.

No comments: