Monday, March 07, 2022

Getting The PT Talk

Had a PT session today.  

Went well  and I always try to push it as hard as I can and always try to get some extra reps in and try to do better each time on every exercise.

Got all the exercises done and the physio therapist is going to up the difficulty yet again.  Good.

Leg Press weight is going up which is good as 30 pounds is now too easy, and other exercises are apparently going to get more difficult and he has thought of new ways to make me work harder.  Bring it on, and let's get this hip back in shape, I say.

The Therapist did have a talk with me though.

He said he's been noticing that I'm not phoning it in like others doing PT and I'm always putting in the effort to get better. (I do after all have a really good role model for always giving maximum effort in PT).

He then said I'm 6-8 weeks after the Hip Surgery which is apparently the most dangerous time for people like me. 

Apparently, since we're really working the process, we're starting to feel better and stronger at this point in time after surgery and its right about now when we do something stupid thinking we're in better shape than we actually are, and we hurt ourselves and get a major setback.

So, I got strongly advised to maintain all the hip caution protocols, not try and over exert myself, take it easy, and be really careful to avoid falling.

All good advice and I'll take it.  

Overall I am getting better, still hurts but its very manageable pretty much all the time.  Some things do hurt, like lying on either side rather than on my back for example, or sitting or standing in one spot too long. Driving is fine, but getting into the car hurts a bit, and there's now a little limp when walking unless I concentrate on not limping.  Biggest daily hassle is no bending as I can't easily pick things up that fall, that the dogs get into, etc. 

I will be careful as I do want to keep progressing and avoid a stupid setback from having a case of the dumbs.

PT is still going to be done at maximum effort though.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good idea. DO NOT overdo it!

juvat said...

Hang in there, Buddy. You're doing great, but recovery is a LONG road and you ain't down it yet.