Friday, March 25, 2022

Flying IFR - Lesson 47 - The F In IFR Conditions

Today would be a real IMC day. Overcast layer at 1,100 above the field.   Unsurprisingly, no one else was out flying this morning from DCT. I had Tom as my instructor today.

Unfortunately, I also had N1689H.  

Yes the seat shifted all on its own, again.  The shoulder belt likes to detach, and did from the lap belt while I was flying; the seat is low and can't be adjusted up; and level flight has the yoke slightly skewed to the left.  In short, I hates that plane, I hates it.

 

Yes, we hates it.

 

Fine, fine, suck it up and just fly it.

Got an IFR clearance, real simple readback with cleared as filed and we were off to Troy for the 9 circle to 27, then Flint for the ILS 27, and back to Pontiac for everybody's favorite, the Localizer Back course 27L.

Pretty much in IMC all the time. Bases were at 2,500 and we were 3,000-4,000 in complete cloud-filled IMC. Good practice. Yes, it is very different from simulated IMC.

Unfortunately, today was one step forward two steps back day.

My procedures overall were excellent, radio excellent, when doing the approaches held on the needles quite well and I know what I'm doing and how to do them. But once again its the simple stuff that's hosing me.

Did the full procedure into Troy, but need to remember that when circling not to drop below minimums until 30 degrees of final.  other instructors told me different so who know who is right. 

Did the ILS 27 at Flint went missed and got instructions to fly the actual missed procedure for the first time rather than runway heading.  Flew to the hold, did about 5 circles through the hold until we got released to head for Pontiac.

For Pontiac, we did the Localizer Backcourse 27L.  Not partial panel  but I essentially pretended I was partial panel and just looked at VOR 2.  Flew the needle nicely lined up and stepped right down, broke out of the clouds around 2,500 with the runway perfectly lined up and headed on in.

Unfortunately there of course was the two steps back. Maintaining altitude and heading was absolute suckage. I was all over the damned place. Fix one, the other runs off, and I was way, way, over-controlling and couldn't get the damn thing to stay straight and level for beans. In short, I was really, really, crappy up there today. Much frustration. Really should not be this f'ing difficult. I'm not nearly as good as I was in January and wouldn't pass an right exam now.

But, I finally made a really great landing.  About time. So, that was some compensation for the suckitude of the flight overall.

I'm now back to being current for passengers.

Downside, I now have 7 days left until I need a flight review. So, I'm getting a flight review instead of being able to credit the IFR checkride as one because I'm sure as hell not ready for it now, and even if I was, I doubt an examiner is available in time either.

That's 2.0, with 1.3 Actual Instrument; 3 approaches; 2 holds; and 1 really great landing, and a load of frustration.

5 comments:

B said...

I was taught circling until turn to final you must stay above minimums. That is what the examiner told me as well. MDA means MDA until final.

Aaron said...

B: Other instructors are saying you can descend once you're visual and on late downwind/base/final especially if MDA is above TPA as you have to get down and you meet the requirements to descent of:

a Required flight visibility
b The aircraft is continuously in a position from which a descent to a landing on the intended runway can be made at a normal rate of descent using normal maneuvers, and
c Runway environment in sight.

In short, there doesn't seem to be a clear answer and there's no rule that it has to be within 30 degrees of final but it seems some DPEs require it.

B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B said...

"Pilots may safely perform the circling maneuver at the circling published line of minima if the approach and circling maneuver is properly performed according to aircraft category and operational limitations"

"Line of Minima".
All the way to final.

AIM sec 4-5.4.5.

Figure 5.4.13 shows why. You have to stay above the clearance line, keep the runway in sight. That's the reason for the "Minus zero" restriction in the performance spec for the maneuver. The plane of minima is there for a reason.

If the circling minima is above the TPA, then that is a different thing. Usually it is lower. For example see your ILS at PTK. TPA 1981, circling minima 1620/1640.

Anything less is not necessarily safe in real low IMC as you could hit an obstacle between the two runway headings as you circle. I know of at least one airport where there is a tower where the circling minimum only gives you about 300 ft of clearance as you do the circle between the two runway headings. If you did it to 30 degrees you might well hit the tower.

If you do it to minimus minus zero until final, the examiner cannot fault you.

juvat said...

Aaron,
I feel your pain regarding weather. But...Very few better feelings than that one of busting out on top to a clear and a million airspace. Thinking how the ground pounders are still thinking the weather sucks. But...Zero/Zero down to minimums +10', well...I've had to remove a few seat pads from parts of my anatomy a few times.

Hang in there and good luck. Flying Good IFR is a skill you don't need, until you do, then you need it BAD!