Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Flying IFR - Lesson Flying IFR - Lesson 46 - Windy AF Approaches

For Lesson 46, I did the preflight for 8570F and then met my new primary instructor, Rocky Wu.

Rocky's a nice guy and knows his stuff, which is what I need to shake the rust off.

We did a three airport approach plan.  Flint for an ILS 9, Troy for the RNAV 9, and back to Pontiac for a partial panel RNAV 9. Windy all the way.

As you might imagine, the wind was from the 9 side. It was gusting 15-25 from 090-150 or so.

On the upside, with a 25-knot wind that was mostly headwind, the plane basically took off all by itself.

I did a very good job on the radios and settign up, briefing and then doing the approaches themselves. 

Had the needles pretty much locked in on each approach, even while getting gusted off course at times. So, I'm pretty happy with that.

The RNAV 9 at Troy was fun.  First, I absolutely nailed the hold entry. Adding to the fun there was a plane in the pattern.  Add to the fact the RNAV 9 is actually for Runway 10 now and I had fun doing radio calls describing to a VFR pilot where I was while doing an IFR approach.  Basically the later calls amount to "On the RNAV 9 approach. straight in to Runway 10, 5 miles out", and they understood what that meant. Then at the MAP I went missed and let them know we were climbing on runway heading to 3,000 feet (as we had been previously instructed by Detroit Approach), and they appreciated that.

Doing a partial panel RNAV was interesting.  Never did that before.  Had both G5s off so I used the steam gauges and the Garmin 430 screen and then did a step-down RNAV approach without any vertical guidance to land at Pontiac. Kinda neat.

Altitude was still getting away from me a bit, need to watch that more as I have a definite climbing tendency that causes me to bust the altitude by 200 feet if I'm not paying attention.  By the middle of the lesson I had it under control pretty much, lost it a bit by the end of the lesson so I need to really pay attention  to it. 

Another aircraft carrier landing.

Sure as heck lost some ground not flying for the past three months, but working to get it all back and get back to spec again.

Upside, it hurt less getting into and out of the plane today than it did Friday.

That's 1.9, 1 hold, 3 approaches, and 1 aircraft carrier type meh landing.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good practice with the winds!

B said...

Yeah, the other day I was doing IFR currency with a safety pilot in VFR with foggle.
winds are 270 at 38 knots at 2000 ft. Runway is 18
I'm on the Rnav glideslope and localizer.....but my heading is off by 35 degrees
Me: "Are we flying sideways?"
"Yep, but yer dead on so fly it down"

I must admit it was somewhat disorienting, but I did it.
My hold, however.....

Aaron said...

Old NFO: That it was, I had a solid crosswind correction in on those approaches.

B: You had a 38-knot crosswind factor? Yikes! Good job flying it sideways, I agree it does feel kinda disorienting when we do that.