Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Float: A Nice New Way To Relax

Decided to try something new last night.

After PT I went home had dinner, and then went off to Motor City Float to try float therapy

In essence, you shower and then head into a enclosed tank of water where you then close the door behind you.  You're then lying in a fully enclosed tank about 7 feet high and about three-four body-widths wide with about 12 inches of water in the bottom supersaturated with Epsom salts so you can't sink, and you just float in the water.

You just lie there and feel pretty much weightless and at a perfect comfy temperature. Takes all the weight off your body and your mind as well.

Great for relaxing the hip and muscles in general.  Doctor actually said it was a great idea to try.

It's quiet, the lights start on and then go out (unless you specifically request they stay on) and you're alone with your thoughts and with no distractions in some nice body temperature water for about an hour. You're in total quiet, and total darkness.

Consider: You're not afraid of being alone in the dark, you're afraid of being NOT alone in the dark. 

Since I was alone in the dark, it was no issue. 

I also had earplugs in to keep the epsom salt water out and it was nice and relaxing. Very peaceful indeed and a nice way to end a hectic day. Feels like your just calmly floating in space, very meditative.

The hip and related muscles, while very relaxed and floating. did still send me the occasional ouch twinge (apparently per my Physio therapist, the Ilotibial Band, among some other muscle groups, on my right leg is still really, really angry at me - and it doesn't hesitate to show it).

After an hour float (and it felt shorter in there), lights and music came on and I got out, showered the Epsom solution off and went on my way. Hip and associated muscles were actually  more relaxed with less aches when I was done, which was happy-making.

I then was actually able to sleep through the night for just about the first time in a long time post-surgery after doing that.

Motor City Float was very nice and clean, and has a very friendly and well-organized setup.  I think I will do this some more as I'm recovering, as it definitely seemed to help relax both muscles and mind.

4 comments:

juvat said...

Wow, that sounds fantastic and not just for rehab. Glad it worked for you. May have to find one in my neck of the woods.

Aaron said...

juvat: It was really a good and relaxing time! Very nice way to de-stress with no possible distractions.

Matthew W said...

Wasn't there a movie about a sensory deprivation tank.....

Aaron said...

Matthew W: I believe there was, but I tuned it out . . .