Sunday, January 22, 2023

Sunday Range Trip, Now With Snow

Went to Huron Valley Guns for breakfast and some range time.

It started snowing as I began driving this morning, but I got there and the snow wasn't an issue, at least not until I left.

Had a god time at the range.

I had sent the Sig Romeo Zero Elite back to Sig for repair/replacement and had a new Holosun 507K  on the P365 to Zero.

The Holosun is more substantial than the Romeo having a metal housing.  Two buttons for brightness on the outside is much more accessible than the single button for the Romeo Zero,  and the side loaded battery means I don't have to take the sight off every time the battery needs changing. In short, it is a major improvement over the Romeo Zero Elite.  Installation was a snap, as it uses the same mounting footprint, and even the same screws as the RZE.

The only downside is the squared off top of the Holosun is a little different from the rounded top of the Romeo Zero Elite and makes for a slightly different feel to the presentation and it feels and looks bigger and more chunky, but still fits in the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster just fine for front jean pocket carry, or the Phlster Pro without any issues.

It zeroed pretty quickly as it was just about right on with its default settings, just slightly low and left, and with a bit of tuning it was just right. 100 rounds later it was pronounced good to go.

I also did some 7 Yard single shot and Bill Drills.  I still can't get the Bills under 3.1, so more practice is needed.  I was also off on my single shot to 7 yards, ranging in the 1.3s to 1.4s for almost all of them and not touching thew 1.2s like last time.  Again, more practice and more dryfire practice can only help.

A darn good time at the range.

Driving home was a different story.

First major snowfall and it was a slippery one at that.

Roads including the highway were extra slow.

Did almost get in an accident.  I was in the right lane on a north-south road off of the highway when a complete bint in a black Mercedes decided to cut in front of me from the left lane, then jam on her brakes to make a right turn at the next street ahead of us.

I almost lost it having to break with the car starting to slide due to the idiot's sudden stop in front of me.  The left lane beside me was occupied so there was nowhere to go, and the accident was barely avoided. That will get your BP up a tad.

Rest of the drive home was uneventful until reachign the Driveway of Doom™.

As you might guess, the car didn't make it up and I got to slide back down to the bottom backwards.  Much fun, but I missed the ditch on the way down.

So I managed to walk up the driveway and only lost my footing once but avoided a fall.  Then I cleared the driveway and scraped it down to just asphalt and then got back down the driveway, drove up and parked the car.  

So, I got an extra cardio workout with this week's range trip.

3 comments:

juvat said...

And you wonder why I live in Texas,

:-)

michigan doug said...

Did you mean 507K Holosun?

Aaron said...

juvat: Yep, it's highly understandable.

michigan doug: Yes, Yes I do. Fixed.