Thursday, January 12, 2023

Democrat Justice Bernstein Sayeth The Quiet Part Out Loud

Democrat Michigan Supreme Court Justice Richard Bernstein ruffled a few progressive feathers recently.

He dared ask if it was it really a wise choice for his fellow Supreme Court justice to hire as a law clerk an ex-felon who had gone to prison for 14 years for armed robbery and shooting at police officers?

I mean, there is a large  pool of Democrat Law Clerk candidates.  Indeed there  are countless many smart and qualified candidates (regardless of my not agreeing with their politics), for a very competitive spot.

So, Justice Kyra Bolden (the first Black Woman Michigan Supreme Court Justice) decided to take on a Defund the Police theme, play the race card, make some waves, and hire someone whose claim to fame was taking shots at cops?  

Bernstein rightly pointed out that this was a political stunt and a rather inane hiring decision and it didn't look good for the Court.

After all was that hire with that kind of baggage really the best and brightest the progressives have in the law clerk department?  Answer - obviously not.

The Left, of course, was up in arms over one of its Democrat Supreme Court justices pointing out the inanity of the hiring and doing a reality check.  So much so that Justice Bernstein had to publicly apologize for "interfering:" in Justice Bolden's hiring decisions.

The Detroit News: Justice Bernstein issues apology over criticisms of fellow justice, clerk

Now of course the left is calling Justice Bernstein's statement and criticism of Justice Bolden's decision "an attack on Black women", for verily one may not criticize the bad decision of a member of a protected class, neh?

So, good for Justice Bernstein, even as an anti-gun Democrat, having the courage to point out reality and showing at least some common sense.

Also, we now have a new leftist euphemism on the books:  convicts released from prison are now called "returning citizens".

3 comments:

Chuck Pergiel said...

I would like to know what would have happened if he hadn't apologized? Idle speculation, I know, but being a political beggar all I can do is wish.

Aaron said...

Chuck Pergiel: Who knows? Maybe the Democrats wouldn't have backed him in his next re-election campaign.

After all, he offended three of their key constituencies: progressives, criminals, and Blacks.

pigpen51 said...

I saw this on my feed from the Grand Rapids television station TV 13, online feed. And Justice Bernstein apologizing for his mistake. At the time, I did not realize that he was a Democrat. I did know that he must have been a smart fellow, overcoming his handicap and making it as high as he has.
I vote for the Supreme Court positions here in Michigan, but since I don't really know that much about the people running, I usually just look up their positions on the 2nd amendment, and then vote for the candidate that supports that the strongest. I figure that if they support the constitution on that issue, then they likely will support it on most of the rest.
At the federal level, I am totally a one issue voter, that being the 2nd amendment. At the state and local level, where I figure I have more chance of having my input being listened to, I will interact with candidates, and often do, and will vote accordingly. I have for the past 2 elections, actually given money to candidates, for the first time in my life. I have a bit more financial freedom to do so, and I figure that I am able to help just a bit. I don't give in the thousands of dollars but I think I gave around 100 both election cycles. Those types of donations seem to be the ones that candidates count on the most, from plain citizens like me.