Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Flying IFR - Lesson Flying IFR - Lesson 50 - So, Does This Ever End?

Lesson 50! FML.  

Did not expect it to take this fargin' long and still no end in sight. 

Beginning to consider packing it in and just saving the techniques for emergencies as this is getting beyond ridiculous but we're really in the sunk cost phase now.  I think whatever next rating I get it will just be an intensive week course instead of this forever stuff.

On the upside I had N8570F, and flying the Zero Foxtrot bird is the only way to fly, as everything works on it.

9L was closed so everyone had to use 9R and it was a conga line to the run-up area.  Very busy as a result.

Overall  nice day to fly with relatively light winds and a tad choppy in some spots.

Headed to Flint and did the VOR 18 circle to 9 with a miss but a good approach overall; then back to Pontiac for the Localizer 9R and a miss; and then a partial panel RNAV 9R to land.  Came in really high for landing and landed a bit long, need to really come down from minimums faster.

Procedures are quite good, radio work is quite good, except for one transmission I missed when I inadvertently knocked my headset controller off, which made things rather loud as well.

Anyways approaches were good but not good enough. Again altitude control wasn't great and was getting bounced around my heading a fair bit.

Hilariously, and to put a perfect end to the flight, my yoke mount spontaneously dissembled itself after we landed.  three of the four screws that holed the Ipad-holder to the mount all fell out together and disapparated. At the next annual they're gonna be really puzzled how they have three leftover small screws.  New screws have been procured, and I'm going to put them in with some red blue (thanks Mr. B!) Locktite.

So yep I'm apparently close but not close enough, which is the story of my flying life. Once I get close enough there will have to be another practice checkride and then maybe an actual exam.

That's 1.6 3 approaches, 1 hold, and 1 landing.

No comments: