Monday, November 08, 2021

IFR Written Test Complete

So this morning at 11 am, I went to the testing center to do the Instrument Rating Airplane written test.

A score of 70% is required to pass.

It's an impressively hard written test with a cunning array of questions. It's allegedly the hardest one the FAA has, and with the lowest pass rate.

Answers entered, double-checked, and after some second-guessing occurring, I hit the submit button.

The browser waiting wheel spun  and I hoped the entire system hadn't just crashed and rendered my efforts useless as nothing happened for quite some time.  Then a mandatory survey about the testing process came up including a question about ease of registration (ha!).  I then answered all that, and hit submit yet again.

The browser waiting wheel spun some more, and I then went up to the proctor to pickup my score.


 I'll take a 95% on it.  All sorts of happy that it's done. 

7 comments:

Rick T said...

Impressive!!!

At least now you get your results immediately instead of waiting a month or more.

juvat said...

Congratulations Aaron, Well done.

Glypto Dropem said...

In the fire service, a 70 is minimal for passing. the saying goes"A 70 is a 100!"

Anything higher is used just for bragging rights.

That said, I have read all your posts detailing your IFR instructions and practice. I don't fly but it sounded brutal. Getting a 95 on the written means you got a lot out of your training and retained it. I would have no problem getting in your plane in "less than ideal" conditions and be confident not to end up piled into an Iowa cornfield fence or the side of a mountain.

Comrade Misfit said...

Outstanding work, Aaron.

Aaron said...

Rick T: Thanks!

juvat: Thank you!

Glypto Dropen: Yep, the joke going around here is I wasted 25%. On the other hand most examiners around here will drill you harder on your oral exam if you just squeak by with a 70 rather than doing better than that. Avoidance of unnecessarily flying into corn fields, and not hitting mountains is indeed a priority during my flying. They were not lying when they said IFR training is one of, if not the most difficult rating to earn.

Comrade Misfit: Thanks!

B said...

Outstanding!
That is, indeed, the hardest test I have taken to date re:flying.

(and you are correct, the examiner will grill you less because you have shown you know your subject matter...they have access to the questions you missed).

Again, congrats on a job well done. Now do the rest and we can go flying!


Aaron said...

B: Yep, I'm working on it.