Thursday, December 15, 2022

Highly Recommended Reading

While at the conference last week, I was able to see a presentation by Chris Voss.

Mr. Voss is the former top hostage/kidnapping negotiator for the FBI.  To say he has been there and done that is an understatement.  He has a wealth of techniques for effectively communicating and negotiating as well as lots of captivating stories that demonstrate each of his points.


He's a riveting speaker with a great manner, sense of humor, and immense knowledge that he imparts in a very effective teaching style. 

He notes that kidnapping is a business, with the commodity being human bodies and generally follows a business approach in many ways. Effective negotiation techniques do carry over to not just business but everyday life, whether talking with a spouse, child, opposing counsel, or potential client.

He's also the author of Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It.

To say it is a great book is an understatement.  The techniques he discussed on the presentation are outlined, exemplified, and expounded upon in the book.

Yes, I got an autographed copy:

I've already read it once, and am reading it now for a second time as the book is full of material and techniques to be absorbed and tried.  Yes, the techniques do work, especially with practice.

One amazing idea is to not make the other side say yes, but instead to have them say no.  Seems counter-intuitive, doesn't it? 

But, as he explains, it really does work and leads to effective negotiation, rather than a "yes" that really means "quit bugging me" or "quit being a manipulative salesman".

An absolutely fantastic presentation, and the book is top-notch, and highly recommended.  I've already learned a lot and changed some of my methods in response to the techniques in the book. 

Even if you think you never do any negotiation, everything you do in life does contain elements of negotiation - whether with you spouse, kid or others, and this book helps you communicate more effectively. 

The book is very much worth reading and you'll more than recover the time invested in it in improvements in your communication and results.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Thanks, adding it to the TBR pile.

Aaron said...

Old NFO: You're welcome, and I found it to be worth it just using some of the techniques has made measurable improvements already which is pretty cool as I'm sure as heck don't quite have them all down yet.

pigpen51 said...

It is on my list of books I want to get, as well. Although, I might have to get my library to get it on loan, since my budget is tight this time of year.
I can see that this topic would be valuable, and that a man like this would be successful no matter what he chooses to do. Learning to have a good understanding of people and to make them think that you are giving them what they want almost always makes you a successful person.
I knew a man who sold copiers, and was a success. If you can sell something like that, a one time purchase, you can sell anything. Obviously, he went on to other things, last I heard, was over 30 years ago, he was selling pharmaceuticals. He was a couple of years older than me, and I was friends with his brother. The guy was just the kind of guy who always had a smile on his face, and was happy to see you.