Saturday, October 29, 2022

Not Flying - All Fogged Out

Was going to do some flying today and while the weather by the house had cleared up nicely by the time I left, at the airport it was a different story.


 Fog and zero-zero visibility.  About as Low IFR as you can get.

That's looking south from the north hangars along taxiway Delta.   Runway 27R/9L at the end of taxiway Kilo is not visible, nor is the parallel runway, nor is the tower on the south end.

Under Part 61, which is the rules I fly under, I could legally takeoff in these conditions.

Legal, but dumb.

Dumb, because you can't legally land in zero/zero and if you have an issue at or shortly after takeoff your options are rather limited.

While I both want and need to get some IFR practice in, this was not the day to do it.

Zero/Zero is substantially below by personal minimums for IFR, so, no flying for me this morning.

3 comments:

B said...

My personal minimum is at least 100 ft above the minimums for lowest approach path....and I have to be able to see the end of the runway from the opposite (or takeoff) point.

THat way I have a half decent chance to get back if I have an issue after takeoff.

Zero-Zero is not an option for me...even with a spare engine.

ProudHillbilly said...

Been watching plane disaster analysis on Youtube, particularly a pilot who goes by Mentour Pilot. One of the things I've learned is that fog can be really, really bad even for the Big Guys. (The other thing I've learned is that there are some incredible pilots out there..."He lost his engines and set it down on a levee?! Really?!"

Aaron said...

B: Yep, no zero-zero for me, and I like the minimums you've chosen.

Proud Hillbilly: Yep, a majority of accidents are due to bad decision-making and fog is indeed a major problem. I saw that levee landing. There are a lot of skilled pilots out there that can keep their cool in an emergency and get the plane back to earth in one piece.