Sunday, October 23, 2022

Sunday Match Day

Today was the Guga Ribas Invitational Match at WCRH Club.


An auspicious omen, as the penguin is my spirit animal.

9 stages with over 300 rounds, and it was a tail-kicker. 

I was the only Carry Optics shooter in my squad.  The vast majority were Open-class shooters with race guns, and there was a production and a single-stack shooter to round it out.

It was a nice bunch of shooters and a good squad. 

Interestingly, my squad was mostly Filipino  -- and damn good shooters too.  

Lots of Filipinos also came from not just the US but also Canada to shoot this match, which was kinda neat as well. Darn good bunch of folks all around.

Lots of fun and challenging stages, with difficulty likely on a par with a Sectional match as compared to a standard club match.  

I definitely made some mistakes, including shooting past cleverly hidden targets, which I really, really hate doing.  

If it was any consolation, and if it was it wasn't much, at least 6 of the shooters on my squad of 13 on the last stage we shot missed and waltzed past a target due to the cunning design of the stage.  

Aside from messing that up, my accuracy was pretty good though my penguin-waddling speed is still not quite where I'd like it to be.  

On the upside, I did not come in last, in either overall ranking nor in carry optics and I am shooting better than I did before and seeing some improvement. 

Some fun  stages, including one where you had to hit each target a minimum of three times as opposed to the normal two, and a neat stage where to get to the r you had to walk through a tight path lined with shotgun clays, and for every clay you broke it was a procedural.  I didn't break any, but a few of the squad did, to their dismay.

Still having trouble with the Henning mag extensions which slowed me down on a couple phases so I'm going to contact them for some tech support, as the problem continues. It looks like the spring and follower is not getting the round high enough to clear the front edge of magazine consistently.

Overall a good match with lots of improvement still needed and a fun time spent with a good bunch of people.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Old NFO: That it was. Certainly shows how much I need to work on to improve, which is always a good thing.