Friday, October 21, 2022

Ancient Graffiti

Quite a neat discovery recently in David's Tomb in Israel, or it could be claled the Tale of the Medieval Tagger.

The Jerusalem Post: Graffiti of knight from Middle Ages discovered in King David's Tomb

A piece of graffiti bearing the name of Knight Adrian von Bubenberg along with his family emblem was discovered on the wall of King David's Tomb on Mount Zion, in Israel's capital of Jerusalem, the Israel Antiquities Authority announced on Thursday.

Found as part of the IAA's research project documenting pilgrims' inscriptions, the researchers discovered the graffiti bearing the name of the Swiss noble, who was dubbed a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre following his pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 1466.

 "Von Bubenberg was here" doesn't have quite same ring to it as "Killroy was here," but he was a solid 473 years ahead in leaving his mark.

2 comments:

pigpen51 said...

I have never heard of such a thing. I don't know whether to be aghast or amused. Or a bit of both. I guess that it sort of does shed a bit of light on how things were in the times of the middle ages.
One would think that such a thing would be frowned upon, but I suppose that anti Semitism is always in vogue, no matter what era you are living in.
One question, Aaron, if you have any opinion on the topic. I thought that I saw that Benjamin Netanyahu is going to run for Prime Minister of Israel again. I thought he was a good leader for Israel, but I don't really know enough about the dealings of them and other nations, outside of America, to really know.
So I wonder if you have any opinion on the subject that you could share, as far as both him and the current politics of Israel. I ask only because since the age of perhaps as young as 12, I read the book Medical Block Buchenwald, and gained a love and concern for the nation and for the Jews of Israel. And as I have gotten older, it has not left me. I was a voracious reader, from a very young age, and my parents had a huge library that I was allowed to help myself to. So I read anything that I could get ahold of.
If you don't have any opinion, or you choose not to discuss it, I understand, and apologize for bringing it up.

Aaron said...

pigpen51: People sure do like to leave their marks for posterity.

It will be interesitng to see if Netanyahu runs again. The current leadership is rather underwhelming.

If he does run he has quite a bit of baggage including allegations of corruption that may be true or may simply be made-up by his opponents. It may be time for someone else to take the lead given the amount of time he's already been in office, but he's got the experience and capability to handle the job for sure.

I actually had to opportunity to very briefly meet him once when he delivered a speech in Toronto and got to shake his hand. I was impressed then and tend to maintain a very favorable view of him since then.

One issue is the nature of the Israeli political system that as a proportional system makes for very weak and splintered governments.

As often said if there's two Jews, they'll be three opinions. You can add to that 2 Jews - 4 political parties.

It tends to be a rather raucous democracy that unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your view, lets tiny minority-view parties wield tremendous political power in forming coalitions with the larger parties to get to a 51% majority in their parliament.

It's messy and interesting to watch, but leads to a very different government system than what we have here in the US.