Sunday, July 26, 2020

Match Day - The Classifier Special

Today I went to the Wayne County Racoon Hunter's USPSA match. This is always a good time as they always run a good match.

It was a special classifier match. A normal match has one classifier. This one had six so you could get immediately classified in your division.

This meant relatively short courses of fire, and two other stages that were not classifiers but had small round counts as well. However, with 94 shooters it took awhile to get everyone through. Did I mention it was a hot day in the sun all day? I drank a tin of water over the course of the match and needed every drop.

Shooting the Masada with the optic, I ended up having an off day. Quite a few issues and while I shot a few C-level classifiers, I was also much of the time just missing the C classifier cut-off score by fractions of a point and ending up in the D category due to mistakes or lack of speed. Checking into it I hit 3 solid C classifiers and 3 Ds. Drat. Just not fast enough, and I need to pickup the pace. I was also tending to drop my second shot on a target a bit low which was annoying. Of course, on one classifier dropping a shot low and having it hit a no-shoot with that same shot really didn't help any.

We'll call that an off day, and a reason to get out and practice more. I can certainly make C-class and will just have to practice and shot some more matches to get my average up accordingly.

On the upside, the Masada was absolutely flawless for all 106 rounds fired.

This was also Tosh's first time at a USPSA match, and he had a good time trying it out, which is good. Now I have a match buddy for matches, which makes them more enjoyable.

Even an off day shooting is still a good day.

No comments: