Wednesday, July 22, 2020

New 6.5 Creedmoor Rifle Makes Its First Appearance

I finally got a scope for my 6.5 Creedmoor rifle and took it to the range.

It's been a long time coming together, and I'm an absolute beginner to the scoped rifle game.

Now with a mounted Vortex Viper PST 5-25x, it is a beaut to shoot.

I got a good deal on the scope from a friend as he wanted to transition all his stuff to MRAD rather than MOA. To say he's a serious long-distance rifle shooter would be an understatement.

We mounted and bore-sighted the scope and then took it to his local 100-yard range to get a zero on it.

The zeroing began, and our boresighting resulted it being rather off to the left. Eventually I got it sighted in, and was then happily hitting a Shoot-N-C center:

After the bullseye shooting, I then did a nice three-shot group:

After that, a two-shot group that I was rather happy with using up the remainder of the ammo.

The scope is amazing. Bullet holes 100 yards away are as clear as day in it, and adjustments for zeroing are quick and easy. Vortex makes a very nice product.

I was shooting with the stock trigger I had put on it that gave a 6.5 pound pull when my friend measured it after we had finished shooting. He decided that 6.5 lbs was not proper for such a rifle, so when we were done, he added to the deal and threw on a Geissele two-stage flat trigger with a really beautiful, consistent, 3.5 pound pull which should make shooting it accurately a lot easier and that made the deal even better.

So I now have my entry gun into serious rifle shooting.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a very accurate and easy to shoot cartridge and with the new trigger and the quite fantastic scope, I should be able to learn to shoot it well. I still need to pickup a bi-pod and then I'll be set to begin learning longer range rifle shooting.

6 comments:

Old 1811 said...

Maybe it's just me, but a caliber with the name "Creedmore" in it should not be in an AR-platform rifle. It should be in a Remington Rolling Block, a Browning High Wall, or a Sharps.
And you can quote me.

Old 1811 said...

Or "Creedmoor." Either one.

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Is reloading in your bucket list?

It is my unbiased opinion that reloading ammo is a skill that every daughter ought to learn.

Aaron said...

Old 1811 - Moor or less the same thing, eh? Too bad they didn't come up with a catchier and easier to spell cartridge name. I do find that the AR platform does offer pretty impressive accuracy right out of the box so to speak and do rather appreciate the advantages of the platform, but also appreciate and wouldn't turn down a shot with a Sharps, Rolling Block, or High Wall either.

Eaton Rapids Joe - I do reload for handgun currently, but do need to begin for rifle - my buddy gave me some of his match handloads to shoot and they were better and more accurate than the Hornady match and S&B rounds I had brought along - then again he's a perfectionist and uses those rounds for his 6.5 in competition.

B said...

Rather than a bipod to start, get a decent sandbag rest for it.

Old NFO said...

You'll need a new barrel after 2000 rounds.