Thursday, November 03, 2022

Back To Jitsu

So yesterday night I finally returned to the mats.

Leg took a lot longer to heal up than I would like, and it's still not even 90%, but I figured if I don't get back now and give it a try, I may never get back.  

Besides, I needed to get some workouts going again.

Overall, I'd say it went quite well. We're doing half guard and today was passing from a three-quarter guard.  Basically the opponent is trying to get back to full guard, but there's an opening as they move into three-quarter guard as they're trying to recover full guard, where you can pass their guard and get to a superior control position.

Rather fun, and it went well.  

Had to switch sides for one of the segments as it involved really putting force on the leg being passed, which was not good at all for my angry quad muscle. So, my partner got to try passing on the left side which is harder than it seems when you're used to doing it on the right side all the time.

Then on to some light rolling.  This also went pretty well.  

I did lose some positions as I had to, on occasion, release one of my hands from an opponent to move it down to shove or adjust an opponent's body or leg off my right leg to relieve the pressure and ouchies thus applied on it, but it was still good.   Did take some breaks from rolling as well.

No major pains and I was careful not to strain the muscles and not go too hard with the leg.  Mainly caused me to be defensive but I need to work defenses too, so still a good workout and got some good rolls in.

A bit more limping around this morning than yesterday morning as a result, but no substantial increase in pain or any mobility loss, so I'll chalk that up as a win.

3 comments:

juvat said...

Aaron,
Most of that was as clear as Japanese to me, but...Glad you're back in action.

Aaron said...

juvat: Basically the idea if you're the guy on top is to get your legs free from the lower guy wrapping them up and "pass" them so you can move to a better control and possibly attack position and not let them get back to guard that uts the guy on the bottom in a better position.

Here's a video that's pretty close to the technique we were working on thatr might make it a bit easy to follow: 3/4 Mount (Quarter Guard) Pass Basics: Knee Cut

Old NFO said...

Take that and run with it!