Saturday, April 11, 2020

IWI Masada Rounds 1701-2000

It's a beautiful sunny day today, in contrast to the chilling, windy and overcast day we had yesterday. So to the range I went.

One nice thing about the Corona-pocalypse - the speed limit on all highways has been unofficially raised to 90 mph and I got to and from the range in excellent time. I'm not saying my car was happily going 100 mph at times, but merely suggesting such was comfortably possible and was only keeping up with the flow of very sparse traffic.

I fired 250 rounds of Federal Black Pack 9mm and 50 rounds of Winchester 147 gr hollowpoints through the IWI Masada today.

Zero failures or hesitations.

I shot the plate rack, clearing them regularly in under 6 seconds from a holster, which still can stand some improvement.

Then to do some more finely tuned practice I shot some 5x5 drills - 5 yards, 5 rounds, under five seconds.

I was pretty happy doing it consistently under four seconds with all hits, with the best time being 3.59, which of course I fasiled to take a picture of. Still, I think I can, with more practice, do it faster.

The Trijicon SRO definitely makes a difference. Shooting the 5x5 drill with the Walther P99 without the dot, I was consistently slower, and typically at least a full second slower.

I then shot Dot Torture with the Masada and it was wonderfully humbling. In short I need more practice. Almost shot a perfectly clean run and had one shot just outside the circle to ruin it. Drat. Dot Torture did help me really dial in the SRO however, as shooting a plate is a lot larger target than the dots on dot torture and I had the dot set before just low enough to miss until it was dialed in.

That's 2,000 rounds through the IWI Masada with no cleaning or lubrication since beginning the test. Zero failures of any sort. I'd say its a nice, ergonomic, and suitably reliable firearm for carry.

3 comments:

Pigpen51 said...

Just a question. I see you using the 147 grain bullets. Is there a reason you use the heavier bullets, or is it just in this gun? I have been using 115 grain fmj and Hornady HST hollow points in the same weight, for carry.
I settled on that combo mostly due to the 115 fmj going on sale at my local Dunham's here in Muskegon, for less than 9 dollars a box quite often. I know that is not a great reason, but I have also read some good things about the hollow point load,and didn't feel at a disadvantage.
In any case, just want to tell you I enjoy your blog,it is always enjoyable, and I learn nearly every time I come here.
By the way, you can have governor Whitless too. I knew what was coming when the only way she had to differentiate herself during the campaign was "fix the damn roads!" If a candidate for governor must use expletives to get people's attention, then that candidate must be a pretty weak candidate. I am not a mild mannered man. I worked in a steel melt shop for over 35 years,so even though I am a Christian man, who attended Bible college for a year while still working there, I have heard just about every single curse word that anyone could even dream up. I just find it ill advised for a person who wants to be the chief executive of a state such as ours to use such language in public, on the television, when children were watching. And after winning, she announced a huge tax increase on gasoline. What a surprise. Especially since the people voted it down, just a short time ago. The people in down state east sure know how to pick them.

pigpen51

Old NFO said...

Very nice! Thanks for the update.

Aaron said...

pigpen51 - Thanks I;m glad you enjoy the blog and I value your comments as a reader, as you can tell, I'm not a Half-Whit fan either, and it's a good question regarding the ammo;

The Winchester Ranger 147 gr round was recommended to me by two different experienced law enforcement agents who use it at their respective agencies. In one case it's a very large agency and he's reported the agency has had very good and consistent results with that round in real life situations, so I chose to take their recommendations.

The 147 Ranger was also rather affordable to buy in bulk, so that was a factor for me as well, just like in your case with the 115 gr.

Overall, pretty much any reputable premium hollow point round from Federal, Speer, Winchester, Remington or such should do the job if you put it in the right place, and have it accompanied by more shots until the threat stops.

Old NFO: Thanks!