Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tomorrowland - Enjoyable Yet Underwhelming

Monday we took the kids for a family movie experience and went to see Disney's latest film, Tomorrowland. I went in blind and without preconceptions as Natasha had selected it and I had not seen any trailers, nor any synopsis of the plot, before entering the theater.

While I enjoyed it well enough, I wouldn't say it was a great film nor really recommend others going to spend money see it. For me, it's a wait-for-it-'till-Netflix film.

Natasha did not like it, even with George Clooney acting as the female draw and eye candy in the film. She did however enjoy Hugh Laurie's excellent performance but that was a as far as she allowed herself to speak positively of the movie.

Leah liked the film, while Abby did not as she found too many plot holes that annoyed her, so it was a split opinion at the end.

I also found that it was kinda preachy with a bit of new age pap which was a bit of a turn-off.

Reasonably fun action scenes, some neat-o special effects, and while it did have a positive message at the end that wasn't enough to save it in our book.

It was good but it didn't make the cut to good enough to see again, and so to prevent any spoilers, that's all I'll say about it.

Kevin at The Smallest Minority has a different and more positive take on the film that is also worth your consideration.

1 comment:

ProudHillbilly said...

In the end, the perseption of good or bad mostly rests with personal tastes. Which is why I only pay theater prices about once a year. And why some of my favorite movies got horrible critic's reviews. All I ask is to be entertained. I smiled all the way through "Expendables 3" therefore it is a good movie.