Friday, January 16, 2015

Well, It Is On Cable So That's Something


So I now have a small claim to fame in a local cable television sort of way. 

That of course means I probably will have an audience of say 50 people, but I'll take it.

I was invited onto the Bloomfield Hills MI Cable show "Practical Law" to talk about Michigan Firearms Law issues. We did the shooting in two parts of thirty minutes each as I apparently was so interesting the first time he wanted me on for a repeat performance, which took place yesterday.

I believe I gave a pretty decent and comprehensive coverage of the issues in the short 30-minute sessions that we had, and certainly surprised the host of the show, a truly excellent family law attorney and a true gentleman. 

Now, he doesn't have much in the way of background in firearms law nor of firearms technology and had the standard anti-gun rights line, mainly because he simply didn't know any better and that anti-rights view has been and is still very much the dominant narrative in the media these days.  He was a most attentive interviewer and careful listener and

He was thus surprised as to both the nature of Michigan's firearms laws and that there are pretty stringent qualifications to get a Concealed Pistol License and the laws regarding carrying a firearm and self-defense.

On the technology side, once I explained that no, what is commonly called an automatic pistol, doesn't spray rounds with every squeeze of the trigger but only once per trigger squeeze, it certainly helped.  It also helped that I pointed out that there really is no such thing as a gun show loophole - if you buy from a dealer at a gun show or a shop, you still have to do the paperwork and a background check wherever you are, but a private sale is similarly the same whether at someone's residence, or a gun show or elsewhere (and in Michigan there will still be paperwork and background checks (or equivalent)  in a private sale where handguns are involved).  I also helpfully corrected him and pointed out that no, you can't just by a machine-gun over the counter nor at a gun show.

We also dealt with some recent road rage incidents and what should and should not be done in such situations.

In short, much time was spent dispelling common anti-gun myths and dealing with the facts of firearms ownership and the law in Michigan.  

I'd like to think that he gained, and his audience will gain, a greater appreciation of the pro-firearms rights side of the debate.  His having an open mind and being, as I said before a true gentleman didn't hurt either. It also doesn't hurt that they learn the realities of firearms law and hopefully have some of their myths regarding firearms and the law dispelled.

6 comments:

juvat said...

Good Job, wish I could see it.

Slowly, ever so slowly the world turns.

Murphy's Law said...

But what about that machine gun that I bought at the Mt. Clemens gun show last month? Was I supposed to get some paperwork with that? It sure came in handy when I was trying to get out of the parking lot though...so many people weren't going to get out of my way until I hollered at them and waved it in the air.

Mcgyver said...

When is it going to video?

Aaron said...

juvat: Thanks, and yes with time and efforts great and small (in my case small) we may just win this one.

ML: Darn it, you scooped that one up just before I could buy it.

Mcgyver: I will be getting a DVD of the show and apparently I can put it on YouTube once I receive it, so stay tuned if it comes out decently.

ProudHillbilly said...

Heh. I once knew a NY taxi driver who would bellow and wave a sword to get people to move out of his way.

Keads said...

Well done Sir! The only times I had a camera stuck in my face for local media I think I turned into a drooling idiot!