Friday, September 16, 2022

Yeowch - I Was Not Expecting That

So yesterday I went to do some jitsu.

The lesson was on the overhead sweep from guard.

First time learning it, and it is a very fun sweep.

In short, the attacker stands up in your guard or runs into your guard, and decides while doing so to grab your throat, jacket etc. You basically get your feet in his hips, grab his arms, and basically can get him up in the air with his weight on your feet like a leg press and roll him north above  your head in a somersault-type maneuver, and if you hang on to his arms while doing so you end up on top.

The sweep can be stopped by the attacker if he knows how to shift his body to counter, but it then opens him up for two other sweeps if he persists in standing up.

Much fun, and I did the sweeper but not the sweepee side of things and having people's feet leg pressing into my hips lifting me into the air would be a bad idea. Still not allowed to fall, and the sweepee does do a definite fall onto the hips which is contra-indicated.

So that was good and went well.

Then we did some rolling which went well until . . .

I was in my second  roll of the night with an opponent and had a good opportunity to do a trap and roll maneuver to get him off of on to of me. The problem is as I extended by hips up in a bridge, he in reaction brought his foot down hard right on my right hip to get a hook in to stop me rolling him.

He hit a rather unpleasant spot on the leg, pretty much right on the surgical scar as my hips were fully extended, which unpleasantly triggered a reaction I did not know could happen.

Basically, it felt like 240 volts of electricity coursed through my entire body and I collapsed nicely.

Ow, Ow, Ow.  Basically every nerve in the hip area went absolutely bonkers and I could not move.

After a bit, I discovered I could actually move again, and was able to move the leg and hip.  I was able to get up and move around.  Hip joint seemed ok, but the muscles around the hip were not happy.

I sat out the rest of the rolling and watched, and then helped with cleaning the mats afterward. Got changed, went home, had a hot shower, and took some Tylenol.

Rather sore and a bit limpy this morning, but no serious damage done, still same range of motion as before and no excessive pain. 

So, it turns out I'm not quite as healed up as I thought, which is a bit disconcerting. 

I'm going to need to take it a bit easier, and not do trap and rolls unless I have my training partner know not to try and stop it with the non-rolling side hook, but that was the first time that has happened. All prior rolls to date have only resulted in some soreness, not electric, body-frying pain like that. 

Good to know and certainly a corrective as I thought I was healed up and well past the point that kind of thing happening, but apparently not. Will just carry on, but being a bit more careful as we go here.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

You're NOT 21 anymore. Just take a break until you actually finish healing. Rule of thumb is one month for every hour on the table.

Aaron said...

Old NFO: True, but I'm past the one month/hour rate. A little frustrating it hasn't fully healed up yet, and still on fall restrictions (as in don't fall) for an entire year from the surgery. Ah well, I'll just suck it up, take it a little bit easier, and carry on.