Monday, September 14, 2020

A Decent Match

A needed distraction and a good time was had at the match on Sunday.

I attended the match along with my friends Tosh and Duffy, with this being Duffy's first USPSA match.  Matches like most events, are best done with friends.

While I  did not set the world on fire and seem trapped at the C-Class level, on the upside, my accuracy is certainly getting better and I do need to work on speed.

We were in Squad 2,  which was a pretty chill bunch of folks, all very nice, laid back and mutually supportive which was nice, especially as we all faced the insanity that was the stage at Bay 5.

Bay 5 was basically nuts.  Think congested sight-lines and viewing targets only possible through three main lane-ways, combined with targets visible from multiple locations, and multiple targets that could be seen through the lane-ways as you moved laterally along the fault line.  Everyone missed at least one target, and some people missed entire arrays due to how it was setup.  The stage took the majority of shooters at the match over a minute to shoot through, and quite a few took 90 seconds to two minutes to get through it.  Oh, did I mention the no-shoot targets surrounding each lane-way? Hellacious stage design, that one was.

After that every other stage was no major problem.  The classifier was 06-06 Golden Bullet Standards,  a fun classifier and I'm happy to report I had zero misses but again landed right in the middle of C class.

I ended up RO-ing a lot of the match which was fun and quite a bit of work - you need to really focus when RO-ing including watching the shooter, anticipating and figuring out where they're going to go and where you should best put yourself to safely observe them to make sure they're safe, don't commit a  procedural (a few shooters managed to do that, mainly on the classifier) and keep the match moving along.  A lot of fun, but a fair bit of work and I did over 9,000 steps during the match alone.

Another 185 rounds through the Masada with zero issues aside from the SRO screws starting to move even though I had locktit-ed them in with blue locktite.  Weird. 

So yep, a good match, and yet another sign I need more practice.

No comments: