Saturday, September 05, 2020

Range Time: Fun And The MSP Class Did Improve My Shooting

Went to the range this morning with Tosh, Tosh's brother visiting from New York, and Duffy.

First we did some rifle shooting,  Tosh's brother got to try out lots of this he can't have in New York, like 30 round magazines, modern sporting rifles,  SBRs, and suppressed .22s. 

He really liked the Tavor, and had fun shooting Tosh and Duffy's ARs.

Much fun was had as a result.  He really enjoyed the opportunity getting to shoot all that stuff.

Then on to pistol shooting, and here's where the Modern Samurai Project class and some dedicated dry fire practice trying to learn the techniques afterwards really showed some results.

First for a warm-up we shot the plate rack. I cleared all 6 plates in 4.45 seconds which was decent. Plate racks are fun.

We then shot the various drills that are part of the MSP standards.

My best times were the following.

3x2 drill: clean in 2.79 seconds and a 1.25 second draw.

7 yard one shot: 1.57

Bill drill: 2.8 clean

25 yard single shot - best time was 1.33 with a hit!  

That was pretty darn good,  I also did it in 1.44 and 1.50 with good hits, and all three of which would meet the standard.  Yes, that was with practice, and not nearly all shots were that fast and accurate, but I'm rather happy with those times.  Now that I know that I can do it, I can work to try and start doing it consistently.

Overall it's still not near the MSP Black Belt standards. But, amazingly to me at least,  the 25 yard 1-shot drill did meet the standards, and if I can do it on the hardest part of the standards, I should be able to work to get the other parts up there too.

My shooting has definitely improved in both speed and accuracy due to the class.

That's 200 more rounds through the Masada, zero failures.

A darn good time at the range, now to try and scrounge up some more 9mm.

No comments: