Monday, August 17, 2020

Another Birthday Takes Place

Leah turned 14 today.

The day began, as all of our family birthdays do, with a home-made cherry cheesecake.

Excellent as always.

Then on to opening some presents.

I then had to go to work in the morning, so Tash and the kids went to do some fun shopping.  Then in the afternoon we had pizza for lunch, and then had Dairy Queen ice cream and took it to a local park to sit by the lake and relax.

Then for dinner we went to Soora, an excellent Korean restaurant.  

About the only nice thing about the whole COVID mess - we had the entire restaurant to ourselves.  While they were doing a brisk carryout business, no one else ate inside. Kinda an introvert's dream restaurant.

 


The Galbi was awesome, as was the Japchae, Bulgogi and Bim Bim Bap that we had.  We have leftovers.

Service, as you might expect given the level of activity at the restaurant, was fabulous. The food was magnificent, and we left a larger than normal tip.

Then home to relax, and a few more presents arrived in the mail for her, so she had a very good birthday, and she declared that she enjoyed turning 14.  

Unfortunately her first day and few weeks of high school will be virtual, and there will be no homecoming festivities which is a definite downer for her this year.  Strange times indeed but she'll get through it all.

2 comments:

Pigpen51 said...

My wife's birthday is on the same 17th also. She is now 63. Belated Happy Birthday to Leah. And I know if I was in high school and they were stopping things, I would be angry. I was one of those kids who loved high school, was involved in a bunch of extra curricular activities, like sports, ham radio club, band, running the concession stand for basketball games, as I didn't play basketball, selling tickets for girls sports, etc.
I talked with my youngest son, in Kentucky, who is 28, and he saw a yearbook of my class, with a list of the things that I was involved in, my senior year, and couldn't believe how much I did. I told him that I also worked 20 hours a week at a gas station.
Best wishes, and hopefully, the Empress in Lansing will stop her concentration camp behavior, once the election is over.

pigpen51

Aaron said...

pigpen51: Thanks! Yep the fun has certainly been taken out of high school.

Now they sit in front of their computers on video conferencing for their classes. The upside is now there's no rush to get to school and they can sleep in at least a bit more than usual, and can have lunch at home. But, its hard to meet new friends via video conferencing, and forget about the extracurriculars.

They need to open the schools up.