Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Beautiful Day For A Dive

It was a beautiful day today with a stiff breeze blowing so it was dive time.

Arriving at Union Lake, I met up with Reichy and we waited for everyone else to show up. A 10 am meeting time is apparently quite flexible, and means 10:30 or later to some on a Sunday morning. Surprisingly there was a lot of boat traffic - people were taking advantage of the nice weather but it sure didn't improve the visibility at all.

Then Keith and Andy showed up. I had never dove with Andy before but he's a nice guy and we all had a good time.

James and some other divers were also there so there was quite a good turnout. So We suited up and got in with Andy, Reichy, Keith and myself in our group.

Note the divers in the full faced mask. You'll hear about them in just a moment.

We headed off to the Model T and mirror and went to tie off the float.

Keith began tying it off.

Then things got complicated as the two face mask diver came right below and between us, meaning their float and line was trying its best to entangle me. I quickly finned out of the way but a little situational awareness would have been nice.

With that done, we headed off in a different direction from the face mask set, so we swam east.

And we got to the copier/microwave boat:

Then we went farther east to the trolling boat, which rests in the mud at 40 feet:

At this point, Reichy noticed his suit was flooding so we turned around before he turned the color of this dive gloves.

Keith however couldn't help but stop and admire himself in the mirror:

Passing by, we saw a fish that was head-first inside a line pole, making it a true underwater fishing pole.

Not sure what it was doing in there.

And of course Keith had to play with a passing crayfish

It turns out crayfish can neither fly nor swim.

We got out and Reichy was pretty well soaked. I, on the other hand, had no leaks which was a nice change, and I'm glad I brought my heated vest along as it kept me nice and warm. I had wrapped the battery pack in bubble wrap to insulate it - if the batteries get to cold they tend not to last, and if they get too hot while stored in the vest they shut off by themselves, so the bubble wrap seemed to work well as the vest was chugging rights along the whole time.

48 degrees, 37 minutes, 38 feet max depth and 1000 psi used. Good dive.

No comments: