Monday, October 07, 2024

Saturday Flyday

Got in a quick flight in the Dakota to Jackson on Saturday to meet up with Mr. B and his friend Mark.

I hand flew it all the way as the Dakota is still having the Pitch/Trim servo issue with the autopilot.


 I was making good time at 132 knots ground speed.

Wind was blowing from 120 degrees at Jackson so I got to land on Runway 14 for the first time.  I've now landed on all of Jackson's runways.  It was interesting as I was coming in from about 250 degrees and Jackson tower first was going to have me enter the downwind and then changed it to a leg base entry which was quite helpful.

The landing was excellent.

Mr. B and Mark arrived in the pattern as I was shutting down on the ramp.

As Mr. B's plane is having it's annual inspection done, they took Mark's Archer.

Mark has quite a nice plane.

We were soon seated at the restaurant and we all ordered  the Pilot's Omelette, as one does.

Had a great time chatting with them both and enjoying a nice meal, and it was good meeting Mark.

After breakfast, we got set to go, and I was soon holding short of Runway 14, waiting to take off.

Got clearance and Jackson Tower was excellent and friendly as usual, and even knew I liked flight following and they got that set for me without my even having to request it.  Great service indeed.

Great Lakes approach was kinda busy so they dumped me off flight following had me squawk VFR and said I could contact Detroit Approach if I wanted to do so.  I did and Detroit Approach, while they never gave me a new squawk or confirmed my request for flight following did give me traffic info as I was flying which was helpful on quite a busy day. How they kept track of me among all the other VFR targets with the standard VFR transponder code is a fun question.

Pontiac was landing on the 9 side, and I soon had it in sight. I let Detroit Approach know I had it in sight and they had me squawk VFR, which I was already doing, and call the Tower, which I did.

I then got assigned a straight-in approach following another couple aircraft, and did another darn nice landing on 9L.

A great time for breakfast with a great friend, and a new friend.

That's 1.4 (0.7 each way) and two great landings.

No comments: