Wednesday, August 02, 2023

NCL Cruise Day 2 - In Bruges

The Day got off to a very fast start. 

 Fast because there was a time change of 1 hour forward from Southampton to Bruges, Begium, and my phone did not automatically switch to that time even as the ship's time and the ship's app connected by wifi on the phone did.

Oops.

This led to a scramble on my part as I only realized post-shower that I did not have the hour I had planned on - it had disappeared.

So I informed the spouse and kidlets (teenlets now, really), who were due for a later shore excursion than I, of this vital bit of information, and I rushed up to the buffet on Deck 17 for breakfast.

The one downside to Norwegian Prima is the buffet. It is smaller than any cruise ship I have been on, with less area to sit and less food and fewer food stations to choose from. 

This led to some issues, as I got stuck behind a lady who decided to inspect every piece of bacon in the tray, then every egg omelette in that tray, and every sausage in the next tray, each time picking one super-super-slowly while the clock to my shore excursion was ticking. Rather excruciating, and trust me, there weren't really any major perceptible differences between any of the items in those trays.

So, I got my plate loaded after the delays, and found an open seat, had a coffee, wolfed down my food, and headed to the Prima Theater, on Deck 7, the gathering point for the shore excursions just on time.

Tash and kids had similar experience about a half hour later as they got ready to go for their excursion.

We learned from this not to have breakfast in the buffet as it was always packed. Instead we would get up a tad earlier and have a proper sit-down, civilized, breakfast at Hudson's, which was always excellent with good service and a great breakfast.

Norwegian handled shore excursions pretty efficiently.  You'd gather in the theater, they'd announce the excursion that was leaving by name and number and you'd then exit stage left going down to the 6th floor, get a sticker for your group, and then head off to the meeting point for your tour.  Went quite well and soon I headed off on my first sore excursion.  Tash and the kids had chosen a Chocolate and Lace tour in Bruges, I had chosen a tour that was rather different from that.