Sunday, October 11, 2020

Sunday Match Day

Shot another USPSA Match today.  It was a beautiful fall day - not to hot nor too cold, but just right to get out to the range.

Also got to be the RO for the squad.  No pressure there.  

Ok, actually a lot of pressure. 

Had a few higher level shooters in the squad, so I got a lot of constructive feedback and helpful corrections on ROing.

I faced interesting problems I've never seen before including a cool one where a shooter figured out a loophole in one of the course of fire descriptions that was actually rather brilliant.  Once I was told it was in fact legal to do it, pretty much everyone then did it.  In short, if you don't want stacking in a course of fire, your description better specify no stacking.  I also went forth and stackednon that course of fire. That was a fun problem and a fun stage as a result.

Then a dispute about whether a shooter engaged a target or not arose.  I saw him shoot at it, another more senior person said he hadn't, I stuck to my position and so he got a miss but not a failure to engage procedural.  - It turns out I was right and it was even on video that another shooter took of him (But there is no such thing as a video replay in USPSA scoring). Yay me, I guess.

A couple other weird scoring things occurred and it all kept me on my toes.

It was a fun match with some challenging stages.

Had two shooters disqualified in the squad - one of them was a much higher level shooter than I am.   

The problem for him was the course of fire had you start well downrange in the center of the range, and you then had to move up range to engage targets at the sides and in turning to engage targets to his right he busted the 180.

Second shooter was pretty much a novice, and had an AD on a speed shooting stage where after shooting T1-T3 you do a mandatory reload and shift to your offhand and then again engage T1-T3. While transferring the firearm, he had an AD, and then started turning back up-range going right past the 180.  That got everyone's attention very quickly. Resolved, and he was DQ'd.  I wasn't RO'ing at the time as I was on deck to shoot.  Nice bit of an uproar before my turn, it was.  Two out of three DQs during the match were on my squad, and the first time I've ever been on a squad with someone who was Dq'd.

I did ok shooting, no setting the world on fire but decent accuracy. But, I still need to figure out how to shoot the courses of fire faster.  On the upside my Hit Factor is inching up and I had a 4.193 hit factor on one stage which was rather nice and I'd like to get all the stages up to that level or better.

A fun time, no failures of any kind out of the Masada, and another 165 rounds fired.

No comments: