Monday, October 26, 2020

Dear I Love Science Folks - That Meme Does Not Mean What You Think It Means

A nice little meme popped up on my Facebook page, courtesy of one of my very liberal Dem friends who is all about "I love science", Orange Man Bad, Vote Blue No Matter Who, etc.

The meme is:


 Yes its an attempt to make fun of people who point out that masks aren't the panacea the proggies proclaim them to be. 

How silly are these people who don't go along with all the various edicts?, and saying cloth masks don't work?, and aren't they just ignorant for not going along - after all, I bet if they were on the Titanic they wouldn't wear a life jacket, hurr durr.

Welp, there's a little problem there.

Those passengers who just wore life jackets died when they were in the water in very short order.  Indeed, most all passengers left the Titanic wearing a life jacket. 

But,  many of those wearing lifejackets on leaving the ship were killed by those same lifejackets by knocking them unconscious or snapping their necks on impact with the water due to the design of the jacket,  The freezing water then killed the rest via hypothermia and the life jacket didn't help with that.

Unless you got on a lifeboat, your chance of survival was between slim and none, with slim rapidly slipping under the waves.  

Life-jackets alone were insufficient to save your life on the Titanic, making the meme rather historically ignorant,  but great for the I Love Science crowd.

In other words, the meme actually points out that cloth masks, just like life-jackets alone are not a panacea and going to save you from Covid19.

I almost have to wonder if this was a brilliant play by 4Chan to get the I Love Science Crowd to beclown themselves.  But more likely its just an I Love Science Crowd type forgetting to love history and facts before making the emotive meme to try and attack their opponents.

4 comments:

Nuke Road Warrior said...

"I almost have to wonder if this was a brilliant play by 4Chan to get the I Love Science Crowd to beclown themselves."

They don't need a ploy (brilliant or otherwise) to beclown themselves, it's the default setting.

Anonymous said...

If the simple single layer cloth bandana, tied as a kerchief like a 19th century train robber, and open on the bottom and sides is acceptable to tyrants and Karens alike... THEN IT IS BULLSHIT. Nothing more than feel good Kabuki Theater.

I tie mine to fit then pull it down around my neck. That is where it stays and wearing a scowl on your face ensures no one dare say anything about it. I will pull it up in a small, close quarters shop so they don't incur the wrath of the tyrants.

Old NFO said...

LOL, either way it works for me!

Aaron said...

Nuke Road Warrior - Yep that's true, and it would be a rather subtle ploy.

Wiltold Pilecki - Pretty much, the cloth masks are basically kabuki theater.

Old NFO - Yep.