Thursday, May 01, 2014

NRA Convention Day 3

Yes this post disappeared so I'm going to try and recreate it by memory. Quick word to the wise: Never have blogger editor running on two devices. So, here goes.

So we got up, had some breakfast and headed to the Convention. We met all the usual suspects in the media room and then headed out on the floor.

First we went and paid homage to Dillon Precision, the manufacturer of the finest reloading equipment bar none.

I thanked them for their excellent customer service and products. My Dillon 550B is about 20 years old and still going strong.

Then we went for another Tour de FN.

The FN rep spent considerable time with us talking over, and talking up, the merits of the PS90, the SCAR and the FNS pistol.

He gave me a very detailed overview of the PS90, including operation and maintenance.

Apparently I can order it as an SBR from the factory to be shipped to my dealer once the paperwork gets approved. It would be quite the fun little gun to have. Not sure what I'd use it for really, but sometimes just having a fun range toy is reason enough.

The FN rep was an excellent ambassador for FN and he knew their products and importantly knew how to communicate about them, and he certainly moved both FN and the company's products way up on my list as a result.

Next, ML went to Colt to rail at their service guy over their customer service, or lack thereof that he has experienced, and I looked at their firearms. Most of their pistols earned a solid "meh", but this one caught my interest:

That's a Colt Delta Elite. The first ever handgun that I shot in 10mm was a Delta Elite and I have some good memories of shooting it. This one on display however could have used a trigger job, and you'd expect a much nicer trigger that wouldn't need any enhancement from a $1,115 pistol. The Glock 20 beats it terms of capacity, price and ease of trigger adjustment, but it's a Delta Elite, so both primacy and recency still make me want one.

From there we went on to the Glock exhibit and I handled a Glock 30S and a few other Glocks in 45 ACP. I need a Glock in 45. Not sure why, I just do.

Then we stopped by the Remington display and I handled the new R51. They certainly brought a lot of them to the show:

The R51 felt pretty good in the hand and I liked the retro-futuristic look of them, including the blending in of the rear sight to the slide, and the grip safety fit very nicely. However, the trigger was gritty to say the least. Still I kinda want one, no idea what I'd do with it though, may just get one eventually as a sample to add to the collection, but then I'd have to pickup an original model 51 like Tam. The R51 just didn't make my Buy-It-Now-Or-Real-Soon list.

Then I needed to go around and take pictures of some pink guns as the girls requested them, and as a dad I obliged.

Here's some Walther P22s in pink:

Meanwhile, someone had snuck up on the Whitney Wolverine at the Olympic Arms booth and painted it flourescent pink:

Ok, it's not actually the same gun as I saw on Day One, but that's one very pink pistol.

At Walther we also saw the new Walther CCP, Walther's Concealed Carry Pistol. My picture of it didn't work out, so go check it out on Roberta X's blog and Tam's picture that she posted after this post originally went up. It's a delayed gas blowback pistol and is both slim and visually appealing with a smooth trigger both surface and pull, along with an easy to use thumb safety. Racking the slide is really easy due to the lighter spring, and I can see this having a definite appeal to those with hand strength issues who want a smaller slim and shootable pistol and not a revolver. The gun fit like a glove in my hand, and doesn't have the squared off block appearance of the Walther PPS. I certainly wouldn't mind trying it out once it's out on the market. If it is competitively priced and the design proves robust and effective, it should do well.

Then we headed to the seminar that was perhaps the most important and informative of all the seminars that were held at the convention.

No comments: