Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Scuba Class Part 1 - Classroom and Confined Water

I'm glad to report that I've passed the classroom and confined water portions of the PADI Open Water Diver program with swimming colors.

I took the class with Sea The World Scuba Center. The instruction was first rate. We had a class of 4 new Open Water students and one student taking it as a refresher class - They were a great bunch of people to learn to dive with.

The instructor's name was Charlie F. and he was truly excellent both in getting concepts across in the classroom and helping students learn techniques in the pool. I will do my open water portion with him in May, and once I get my Open Water C-Card I will go for my Advanced Open Water.

The class was a lot of fun. The initial 200 yard swim and 10 minute treading water was a thrill most of us could have done without. But from that humble beginning as incredibly clumsy neophyte divers in the water we got better and better and were soon doing mask removals and clears underwater, and hovering with relative ease.

The class has been great so far and I look forward to my open water dives.

No comments: