Tuesday, January 06, 2004

In Praise of the Snowblower

We had a few inches of snow fall upon the ground here in Oakland County, Michigan... a perfect opportunity to test the snow blower that I purchased along with our house this summer.

I have an impressively sloped driveway that is a bit on the long side. Put a car in neutral on it and it will drop right down. The kids who live on my street like to ride their sleds down it if that helps your imagination any.

So I pulled out the trusty Cub Cadet Snowblower. Impressivley it cleared the snow off the driveway and the street in front of the driveway in 12 minutes flat.

I had to clear the snow off the road as we don't seem to ever have a plow or salt truck visit our street...the downside to being a dead-end street off of a subdivision. Impressively since the street is a steep hill and I'm in the middle of it, I have to drive in reverse to the bottom of the hill and the dead end side of the street, and then shift into low gear and build speed up to get past my house and up the hill to get off the street and on my way to work.

Sadly Cub Cadet does not seem to make these walk-behind Snowblowers anymore.

Ah, technology is beautiful, what would have taken a lot longer, hours of drudgery with a shovel in the cold became a pleasant diversion before I had to change and drive off to work. The blower actually makes the process fun.

So if you live in an area that is blessed/cursed by snow, get thyself a snowblower, you'll be glad you did.

No comments: