Friday, January 18, 2013

A Cold Home Night

Adding to my Home enjoyment, last night at about 6 pm one of the furnaces conked out. The one that heats the bedrooms, basement and about half the house. From the code its flashing its either the igniter or the pressure switch as it is not firing up any more.

It was working fine right up until I said "You know, why are we paying for the Consumer's Gas Home Appliance plan as everything is working?".

Luckily, I did not cancel it and we have Consumers Gas Home Appliance plan and they will send a furnace guy over.

Unluckily, they were all busy last night dealing with higher priority things like house fires and gas leaks, so as of now we still have no heat in half the house.

So I'm now at work waiting to get a call that they're on their way and I'll dash home to meet them. If I don't get service by this afternoon I might as well cancel the plan, call my friend who does HVAC stuff and get it fixed.

Tell me again how these high-efficiency furnaces are supposed to make everyone's lives better - they certainly don't seem as durable as the old standard furnaces.

5 comments:

ProudHillbilly said...

You mis-read. The new stuff is to make the REPAIR people's life easy by bumping up their income considerably.

ProudHillbilly said...

You mis-read. The new stuff is to make the REPAIR people's life easy by bumping up their income considerably.

Jon said...

I've been thinking about replacing my 30 year old furnace with a new high efficiency one. My son-in-law's two year old model just died the other night, and now I hear about yours...hmm.

Aaron said...

Yep this furnace seems to be made under the repairman's full employment act.

The problem this time is the igniter going bad. Yeesh. Now 55 degrees in the house and the repair person doesn't have the right part and needs to go get a different one....

Keads said...

Yeah, I hate appliances as a rule now. Why on earth do you design a washing machine with Integrated Circuit electronic controls? Hello! Its wet in there!