Saturday, January 13, 2024

Snow Far Snow Not So Good

From yesterday afternoon to this morning, we got 5 inches of snow, which led to the roads becoming a wreck with multiple closures from downed trees, power lines, and of course, car accidents.  Never received so many road closure texts at one time before.

We also had thunder snow, which was kinda interesting to experience.

Wind then picked up today to over 30 knots crosswind to the runways at KPTK and low IFR.  So, no flying today for sure which I had planned to do prior to this weather coming in.  Just getting to the airport would have been a tad hazardous given the condition of the roads and blowing snow today.

So winter is now officially here.  It's been a rather enjoyable and nice delayed onset of winter, but the mild weather is done for now.

3 comments:

drjim said...

We haven't had much snow at all this year, but the cold weather came roaring in the last day or so. _10 at night, and didn't get above zero all day. Supposed to be like this until Tuesday.

pigpen51 said...

Not a fan of snow and cold. My wife says it was because I spent my working career as a steel melt shop worker. AKA a common foundry worker. Only higher tech.
Here in Muskegon, we got probably 10-12 inches during last night. And of course wind, but the temps were OK. Coming up it is supposed to get colder.
One thing I did notice as I took my dog out for his last walk tonight is that the days are definitely getting longer. I didn't have to turn my porch lights on and it was 5:30pm. Usually it was dark before that and I had to turn them on and carry a flashlight with me.
Everyone stay safe in this winter weather, keep you gas tank full and have a blanket and maybe some water in the car with you. Just in case.

Matthew W said...

Friday was a mess driving in to work but the ride home was perfect.
We had a huge thunder snowstorm in college and it was pretty cool.