Sunday, May 06, 2018

Sunday Smoke Day!

Today was a home game of spring cleaning.

I spent the day cleaning the car's interior after a long winter, washing the mats and getting all the salt and grime out. Then it was cleaning the garage, and getting all the winter's dust and dirt out of there, and reorganizing and making it less of a mess.

While that was going on, I prepared two racks of ribs for dinner.

I made my own rub with salt, brown sugar, paprika, ancho chili pepper, pepper, garli,c and cumin and rubbed it on the ribs.

Then I got the smoker fired up with Leah helping light the charcoal - because, Fire!

Then when the charcoal was hot I combined it with locally-sourced apple and hickory wood for a sweet smokey smell.

After five hours on the smoker, low and slow at a nice steady 200 degrees, they were done and looked like this:

The ribs were fall-off-the-bone good. Didn't need any sauce either, the rub turned out to be just right and the ribs were excellently smoked with plenty of tasty smoke flavor.

The first smoking of spring.

3 comments:

OldAFSarge said...

I'm drooling over here!

Aaron said...

OldAFSarge: You start feeling better and come on up to visit Michigan, and we'll get you some in style.

Jeff B said...

"I made my own rub with..."

How much of each?

I've been playing around with different stuff in my rub, and wouldn't object to trying another variety

Also, I've found that adding a bit of Old Bay to my rub gives it a nice taste. Might want to give that a try in yours...