Saturday, October 03, 2015

Weathered Out

I was scheduled to go flying this morning but it was not to be. I figured as much reading the Terminal Area Forecast last night but was hoping it was wrong.

Winds were forecast 15 gusting to 25 knots from 050, and using Runway 9 would have resulted in maximum crosswind component of 18.3.

While the Cessna 172M POH says it does not have a maximum crosswind component, it does say an average pilot can handle a crosswind component of 15 knots.

I'm not yet even a sub-average pilot and a crosswind component of 18.3 meant NFW so I was not going to fly. NFW of course means "Not Flying Weather", right?

As has been said many a time, better to be on the ground wishing I was in the air, rather than in the air wishing I was on the ground.

So the lesson so eagerly sought was properly cancelled by my instructor and I did other stuff today, including getting a workout in and studying for the written test some more and chair-flying a pattern and landing. Might as well keep on learning and preparing.

No comments: