Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Oregon's Learned Vehicular Helplessness

Oregon passed a law that in rural areas only, people could now be legally permitted to pump their own gas.

Oregonians duly freaked out.

The Detroit Free Press: America is laughing at Oregon for having to pump its own gas

That a licensed driver, someone deemed by the state to be able to control and maneuver a multi-thousand tn machine in public is unable to fill it with gas is simply crazy. That they are reacting with sheer panic to the thought of having to add gas to their own cars is even more insane.

Now only New Jersey and urbanized areas of Oregon remain where people are deemed by law to be too stupid to add gasoline to their vehicles and it is illegal for them to do so.

3 comments:

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Aaron;

I was shocked to see someone pump my gas, I saw this in New Jersey a couple of years ago and it totally flipped me out. Really? I can repair multimillion airplanes, but I can't pump my gas? Being from the south, we pump our own and it is part of our self sufficiency. I surmise this is a jobs program mandated by the state and they add the extra to the price at the pump.

Paul said...

It is all about JOBS. Union Jobs. Gotta give the masses some way to make a buck.

Aaron said...

MrGarabaldi: I was similarly shocked by the experience both on my trip to Oregon some years ago and during a visit to New Jersey. Pretty much a jobs program and a massive waste of money and effort.

Paul: Yep, its a jobs program for those who otherwise might have to find gainful employment, paid for out of higher gas prices in those states.