Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Oh Karen, That Idea Won't Possibly Go Badly

One of my lefty acquaintances on Facebook invited me into a pro-Whitmer Facebook Group "Michiganders for Staying Home To Defeat Covid-19".

As one might expect it's full of protesters bad, Orange Man bad, Gov Whitmer is awesome, and her orders should not be questioned in any way, with a ton of in-group virtue signaling.

Of course, conspiracy theories that the protests were all planned and funded by Michigan Conservative groups looms large, and how dare they question Saint Gretchen whose authoritarian shut-down will save us all.

Some criticism of the protestors who contrary to the event's intent were congregating closely instead of staying in their cars as requested can indeed be valid, but these folks are off the hook.

But a rather nasty stream came up - not just name calling and such towards the protestors but looking to have them fired from their employment:

Vast majority of the 1.4+ thousand comments in the thread were for trying to get the protestor fired. Interestingly, those who argued against it were attacked and shouted down.

Lots of Karens were all for informing the protesters employer and even the police for the person's participation in the protest.

This is quite a panicked herd of people in that group, and the panic and virtue-signalling is feeding off itself rather nicely.

Trying to get someone fired because they dared exercise no more than their opinion that's different than yours is not a smart move and likely won't end well.

4 comments:

jon spencer said...

Have you read or heard any thing on if the governors boating ban includes Native Americans?
No one that I have talked to has been able to answer the question.

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Aaron;

They had no idea who you are do they.....LOL. I have had to unfriend a couple of my Ford "peeps" because of TDS was soo bad, they tried to get me fired from my present employer. I get disagreeing with me, and I wasn't the strident one...but when they tried to contact my lead to get me canned, that was crossing a line.

Old NFO said...

Frickin stupid is what that is...

Aaron said...

jon spencer: Good question and I've not seen any clear answers, most likely if they're caught at a DNR boat launch outside of tribal lands they'll get ticketed as well.

No idea on whether there is any enforcement on Indian reservations or tribal lands but I suspect - and I'm no expert or authority on this at all - the ban and executive orders would not apply there as its a separate sovereignty issue, most likely would be up to the respective tribes to decide on their lands what they want to restrict.

MrGarabaldi: Yep, they really don't. I tend to keep a prety neutral profile on Fascebook. Yep, some people out there are rather vicious and think they're all that when behind a keyboard.

Old NFO: That it is.