Thursday, January 14, 2016

Some Grey Days

There used to be a yellow ball in the sky. Haven't seen it at all this week.

I can certainly understand how people can get seasonal affective disorder. This basically sucks - grey and then the dark of night, rinse and repeat with the addition of blowing snow and some cold temperatures the past couple days. Basically yuck combined with getting up in the dark and leaving work in the dark makes people a little cranky.

Low cloud cover also means it has been solid IFR every time I've been scheduled to fly, so no lessons recently.

On the upside, the snowblower has done yeoman service, clearing the 1-2 inches of snow per day/night that have been falling every day this week with aplomb. Since it's not packing snow this machine eats it up and clears the Driveway of Doom™ quite nicely. I'm liking this little coal and nuclear powered beastie.

The downside is that without the sun to heat things up and low temperatures, the driveway is not as clean as I'd like it to be as ice patches will not melt away, but it will do. The driveway looks better than our street, which is basically snow-covered with some tire tracks through the snow.

I'm sure the sun will come back on its own at some point and flying weather will return so I can keep learning.

2 comments:

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

I, too, miss that yellow ball in the sky.

My sister-in-law suggested that I try fairly large doses of Vitamin D (more than 1000 IU/day) and calcium (antacid tablets work). She had read somewhere that Vitamin D deficiency can cause depression. She tried it and it helped her.

I tried it....and it helped me.

And with fewer side effects than SSRIs.

It is worth a try.

Aaron said...

It sure can't hurt, and I need more vitamin D anyways. If it helps beat away the winter blahs on top of that, that's a good thing.