Sunday, October 04, 2020

Range Trip and Sunday Drivers

So this morning I went to my range's monthly business meeting.  Not as painful as one might expect and things got done,but some parts certainly dragged along unnecessarily. No biggie.

After the meeting Tosh, Duffy and Anthony were waiting and we then setup to shoot and we first shot rifles and then I got to shot my new A-Zone steel at 7 and 25 yards.  Lots of fun and I - you guessed it - need more practice.  I wasn't hititng any of the MSP Black Belt standards today.  But, it was extra satisfying hearing that sweet ping sound when i hit my own steel plate at 25 yards off the draw, as slow as it may have been.

Given the ammo shortage and a match coming up next weekend,  that's 50 more flawless  (and expensive) rounds through the IWI Masada today.

A good time had by all.

Then driving home on the highway with no issue of note.  I exit and the exit has 4 lanes - 2 lanes tro the left and 2 to the right.  

I'm in the outside left  lane.  To make the turn super easy even for morons, there is a dotted white line for the turn separating the two lanes.

So of course the idiot driver beside me on the inside turn lane (with a Biden Harris sticker no less) cunningly makes the turn from the inside lane and in the midst of the turn drifts completely into my lane. Oh, I'm in that lane at the time.  Not pleasant, but I avoid the collision. 

Ok then.  Idiots abound and glad I was looking out for that.

Then less than a mile from that incident, I'm in the left lane keeping up with traffic, and a white Ford Explorer decides to leave a strip mall on the right side and instead of turning into the right lane decides to turn right into the left lane right in front of me going a heckuva lot slower than the 45mph I am going.

Brakes are quickly stomped upon and a horn is loudly sounded to indicate I don't enjoy almost getting hit by a complete moron who can't merge into traffic and he had an entire empty right lane he could have easily turned into.

He takes affront at this and when we get parallel as I had to change lanes to avoid him and he starts flipping me off, then dicking around in traffic playing braking and lane changing games and being a jerk.  Whatever.  I'm not engaging with that kind of crap.  I just drop back to avoid the douchebag and carry on my way while he speeds off in a huff and nearly hits another car as he does so.

Two close calls on the same road is a bit worrisome.  Too many lousy drivers out there at the moment, probably lots of them just started driving again since Covid began and have unlearned how to change lanes, turn, and enter a road.

Good time at the range and some excellent accident and road rage avoidance practice.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Covidrage is becoming a thing... sigh

Pigpen51 said...

I used to get mad at the idiots who would do this sort of thing. Now, I try to remain calm, and back off, as you did. People are so on edge today that some of them might love to engage in some unpleasantness, which I am getting too old to respond to.


pigpen51