Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Flying Lesson #22 - More Happier And Crosswind Landings

Lesson 22 had me using runway 9L for takeoffs and landings, with a left pattern as the wind was from 130 degrees at 10-15 knots. I had Sean as my instructor today.

Overall the landings went pretty well, even with a gusting crosswind, with my last three out of four being very nice indeed. I had decent roll-outs and flares that got better as the lesson went on.

I think I'm getting the hang of it, finally.

Sean demonstrated an engine out emergency landing with a short base turn and then I got to try it.

Wouldn't you know it? My engine out glide-it-in-at-idle landing was perfect - a nice turn to base and then final, pitched for 65 knots the whole way through, then lined up with the runway and I was perfectly on the glide path and had one of my best landings.

But to keep me humble, my last landing of the day sucked - approach was too low so it wasn't stabilized, and while I landed ok it was really not great by any means.

Apparently, I'm making sufficient progress that I was given a take-home pre-solo written test to complete. So, we'll see how it goes from here.

That's 1.3 more hours and 11 landings.

No comments: