Tuesday, November 03, 2020

What The Absolute Frack UPS?

Today, finally after getting bounced along and around by UPS support including supervisor level support, I did get a return call from even higher level UPS support after I had left a few messages, to find out at least one interesting new thing today.

The firearm was not in fact stolen and diverted to Kansas City, MO, as they had previously indicated.

Nope, instead UPS seized the package and sent it to their secret fraud center in Kansas City, MO on suspicion of fraudulent activity.

Blink.

Why you may ask?

Why indeed.

Well, apparently about 5 years ago the UPS shipper id number I had been issued in late October of this year by Stamps.com had apparently been used by a fraudster in Texas for some nefarious purpose.  This nefarious purpose was not to be revealed to me, but it was indeed a purpose most nefarious and fraudulent.

5 years ago.

The shipping id number associated with the fraud was however then released by UPS to Stamps.com for use, but remained flagged in the UPS system as a fraudulent shipper id, and then sat there just waiting to pounce as my legal shipment entered their clutches.

One would think they would retire such an shipper number and not reissue it for use, but no.  My package then allegedly got intercepted solely based on that number.

I'm now told that my package is now going to be released and delivered on to the buyer sometime soon as I've now proven I'm not the fraudster in Texas and it is a legitimate shipment.   

Of course, they should have been able to figure this out themselves since the package was dropped off in Pontiac, Michigan not Texas. One would have hoped that a shipping company knew geography. Another clue could be it was legally declared as a firearm and the FFL of the receiver was provided and package was paid for, and it was not being sent from or to Texas. Or, maybe, perhaps they could have just contacted me at the outset, but what do I know?

Of course, this is after I've already spent time and reported it to the Sheriff's department that it was stolen based on their prior statement that it was intercepted and delivered to an unknown address in KC, MO.  It would have been nice if from the get-go they stated what was actually going on rather than stating the package had been stolen.

It would also have been real nice had they contacted me once the diversion happened rather than my learning about it on their tracking page solely from seeing the package marked "delivered" but to Kansas City and not its actual destination and no message at all regarding any delivery exception.

We'll now see if it really does get properly to its destination as promised and paid for.  Sheesh.

2 comments:

drjim said...

At the very least they should refund your shipping charges and issue you a written apology stating it was THEIR error.

Aaron said...

drjim: At least they're sending it next day air so it should get there tomorrow.