Monday, July 03, 2023

Flying: Now IFR Current

Went flying with my friend Dean who not only is a pilot but he's also an instructor. So good friend to have.

I filed IFR as the overcast was at 2,900, might as well file it like I planed to fly it.

We decided to fly to Flint first to do some approaches there, and then back to Pontiac.

I was rusty and out of practice and really needed this hop badly.

My radio communication was still excellent.

Took off from Runway 27R and flew runway heading.  I had foggles on and Dean was the safety pilot.

Detroit approach had us climb to 4,000 instead of our filed 3,000 and we got in the clouds at about 3,500.

I had no issues being in the clouds which was great, was able to hold heading well, altitude was a pain with a climbing tendency I had to always be aware of and counter.

Flew to Flint and did the ILS 27 approach, and it was ugly. Then I did the RNAV 27 approach and it went better.  I then did the ILS 27 approach again, as I was very unsatisfied with how the first one went and the second time I had it down.  Then we did the VOR 36.

The wind had then shifted for our return to Pontiac so I did an RNAV 9R approach and an ILS 9 approach and landed.

Overall I felt rusty as heck and was glad Dean was along to keep an eye on things. By the end of the flight, I felt much better.  I'm refreshed, and I promise I will keep current and shanghai a safety pilot on a  more regular basis so I do not go this long without IFR time again.

That's 2.1 with .2 actual, 1.8 simulated, 6 approaches, and 1 landing.

1 comment:

juvat said...

Two things, my friend. Never give up…Never surrender! But…practice, practice, practice. You don’t need instrument skills…until you need instrument skills, then you need them…BADLY!


Just sayin’