Thursday, May 06, 2021

Thunder Over Michigan Gets Covidized

Last year, Michigan's best airshow, Thunder Over Michigan was cancelled due to Covid.

This year it will go on, but unfortunately in a much more restricted and limited fashion than in years past.

It's going to be a drive-in airshow.

The Detroit News: Thunder Over Michigan air show to return to Ypsilanti in August 

Tickets will be for $165 per car, and you can fill your car up with attendees, but t hat's quite a bit more than the $15 general admission of past years, by quite a lot, unless you get a minivan and pack 11 people in it - which would kinda kill off the whole point of this social distancing overkill.

Unfortunately, that $165 doesn't even get you in for the whole day, but only half the show.

You have to choose between a morning or afternoon slot.  F-35 Demo team in the morning, or The US Air Force Thunderbirds in the afternoon.

No walking around the aircraft and seeing the static displays, just staying in your car or out on the passenger side, with commentary on the show coming over the radio.

Certainly it's going to be a much different and sadly limited airshow experience than in years past.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

I'm thinking I'd be passing on that 'opportunity'. And Ross said to say hi.

Aaron said...

Old NFO: I expect attendance to be way down.

On the upside, they upgraded my previously purchased tickets that I bought before this announcement to one vehicle pass, so that's something and I'll get to see half an air show. Not quite what I wanted when I purchased the tickets.