Friday, June 26, 2015

End Of The Enfield Era

The last active military users of the Lee Enfield SMLE and No.4 MK1, The Canadian Rangers, are about to turn them in.

The Firearms Blog: Replacement Selected For Canadian Rangers’ Lee-Enfield Rifles

The venerable rifles are being replaced with a rifle based on the SAKO T3 CTR in .308 to be built under license by Colt Canada.

Whether this means Canada will release them on the surplus market, along with the tons of .303 surplus ammo they have in storage, has not been announced, but I hpe they will, and if they do I'd certainly not hesitate to buy one.

3 comments:

Borepatch said...

That was one heck of a run. I love my Enfield.

Scott said...

I'd love to get some cheap surplus .303 for my No.4 Mk.2. Oh, Canada...

Aaron said...

Borepatch: That it was. I think India still issues their 2A1s to their police, but that's about all the Enfields left on active military service. I really like my Enfields as well, an Enfield was my first rifle, and the history each one carries is amazing.

Scott: Yep, release of that surplus onto the market would be something indeed.