Monday, September 28, 2026

The Toronto Weekend Trip

On Friday, I prepped the Archer and then left Pontiac and headed to Toronto.

After all the necessary filings, I got my clearance and took off. 

Flying IFR,  Detroit Approach had me fly north for awhile and climbed me up to 7,000 as filed, and then got me heading east to Toronto.


 Weather was nice and the air was very smooth. Had a 9-knot headwind .

Got passed over to Selfridge ANGB Approach, and crossed the Border right by the Blue Water Bridge as usual.


 Then I got passed off to Toronto Control and after various frequency changes got to Toronto Approach.

The new GPS was fantastic, making changing frequencies and entering the route and route changes en route very easy.


The approach for Toronto Island Airport  was all sorts of busy. 

I was number 5 in sequence and got held over the water for awhile, and was  being assigned a continuously declining altitude to stay under Toronto airport's traffic.

So at 3,000 feet, I was way out over Lake Ontario/Lake America:


After holding for awhile, that felt longer than it was,  I was then in sequence for the Runway 8 RNAV Zulu approach and was told to keep my speed all the way up and stay at 2,500 until the Final Approach Fix due to traffic.

This led to a chop and drop at the FAF, but I got it in and made a very nice landing, shedding speed and altitude as much as I could at the same time. After landing I was then told to keep my speed up on the runway, run it to the end and taxi off, while staying with Tower the while way.

That was fine and I got to the FBO, shut down, notified Canada Customs of my arrival and got my clearance number. I then could get out of the airplane and get things handled.

 On the way into the FBO there was an aircraft with a most suitable tail number:

 


 A little pilot humor there.

After checking in with the FBO and asking for the plane to be fueled up, I headed into town.

Then I met up with family, celebrated a relative's 90th birthday at a very nice party, and headed back yesterday evening with a different return procedure that I had not used before. 

That was 2.2 and 1 very nice landing. 

No comments: